Saved By The Serenade


Allow me to preface with a flashback: We must have been 'seeing' each other for a good two months. Much to my chagrin, it was to the point where I had somehow found it sensible enough for me to actually commute out of dear Manhattan in order to spend most of my nights in his bed ---> In Jersey. So there we were, two twenty-somethings convinced that we didn't want a relationship but had somehow inevitably wound up in, what the books would call, a 'relationship'. Fancy that. -- Three words came to mind, "What are we?" Did anyone say it? No. So there we were again, scavenging the corner bodega for some sandwiches in silence and I just had to say something. Cat got my tongue and apparently it got his too. As fate would have it, John Mayer's, "Say What You Need to Say"  chimed in just as we approached the register. It was speak now or forever hold your peace... and so we spoke.

It's funny, don't cha think? The soundtrack of our lives sometimes speaks for us or gives us a push 'n shove when the moment is just about right. Music can have quite an extraordinary effect on a romantic circumstance. There are messages in lyrics and unspoken emotions in melodies. For your listening pleasure, I've gathered some admirable crooners and ballads which may accompany each and every kind of situation under the amorous sun:

For when you've fallen, yet again...

Simply for rejection and irresistible temptation...

When you think you want your friend to be more than a friend...

When the goin' gets goin', what are we?...

For the one whose worthy to star in your daydreams...

And finally, when you've found him or her and you just know...


I dedicate this particular blog to John Mayer, or the radio DJ from that fine day in the bodega. If it weren't for you or him/her, I might not have said anything and may never have found out that I was not the only lady traveling to that bed in Jersey on a daily basis. Here's to the one... and it certainly wasn't him.

0 comments:

 

RATIONAL ROMANCE, oy. Design by Insight © 2009